Deploying environments composed of network, storage and servers can be a labor intensive activity. With IBM PureSystems family, this activity became less trouble because of its integration by design approach. The same applies for management activities since PureSystems offerings come with an application that enables management of the environment in an integrated way.
As we move into a more interconnected and mobile world, delivery teams responsible for managing IT infrastructure are looking for new ways to increase productivity.
On August 6, 2013 IBM launched new capabilities for the PureSystems family and I would like to go over some new functionalities that can enhance the management experience. These new capabilities are enhancements in the IBM Flex System Manager (FSM) application and touch on various components of the cloud infrastructure:
- Simplified storage management (zone allocation) experience by integrating FSM with storage management through very few graphical steps.
- Leverage VMware vCenter and Microsoft System Center’s customers to manage (control activities and hardware status) Flex Systems. By enabling this capability customers have now the capability to also integrate Flex Systems into their preferable choice of management tool.
- Increased scalability of FSM by allowing management of up to 16 chassis which can handle up to 224 nodes or 5000 end points. Also a new “Fuel Gauge” brings a new way to understand the capacity available and how to better tune the environment.
- Increased resilliency by enabling remote power restart of Power LPARs in the rare instance of a catastrophic hardware failure.
- New capabilties added for remote management through iOS, Android and Blackberry Mobile devices such as actions on compute nodes, Chassis Management Module (CMM), graphical view of hardware chassis map, firmware and VPD information. This enables a more flexible way to manage and monitor the environment.
I believe these new capabilities can increase the productivity and management of PureSystem offerings. In your opinion what other new capabilities could be added into FSM? Let me know from you experience what else could be implemented.
Innovative companies continue to look for ways to deliver business value by accelerating time to market, improving application performance, and reducing the staff time needed for many routine ongoing management and support activities. Learn how you can do that and more in this Integrated Systems Analyst Paper from the IDC.