These announcements and client stories will be covered in today’s February 5 webcast, “Smarter Computing: What’s Next. Ready Now” and at the IBM PureSystems Executive Summit in Huntington Beach, California this week–which you can watch live on Livestream.
Today’s announcements go beyond IBM PureSystems and include IBM Power Systems and Smarter Storage, but the focus at the PureSystems Summit and at other events around the globe is heavily focused on the new news with PureSystems. Let’s jump right to what was announced about our expert integrated systems:
- We added higher performance Power-based models and entry x86-based models of the IBM PureApplication System. They are designed for deploying applications quickly on a cloud-ready platform.
- We introduced a new PureData System for Analytics that improves performance for complex analytics and has greater data capacity per rack.
- We also announced new PureFlex and Flex System Managed Service Provider Editions, specifically designed to address the fast-growing Managed Service Provider (MSP) segment.
We continue to reinforce that clients are looking for simplicity and speed to market. They want to spend more time managing their business as opposed to managing their infrastructure. The PureSystems announcements support the value that expert integrated systems deliver to clients and reinforces Smarter Computing—the IT infrastructure that fuels a smarter planet. This set of announcements further delivers on how clients can:
- Leverage cloud to speed time to market and improve efficiency
- Unlock the power of big data to deliver more actionable insight
- Secure critical information to reduce risk and improve management of compliance
One segment of the market in particular that will benefit from these announcements is MSPs. MSPs are helping midmarket companies solve complex challenges. However, to grow their businesses, MSPs need to expand their IT infrastructure and service delivery capabilities while minimizing the disruption and risk that often comes with growth. Today, IBM brings to market new offerings for PureSystems designed specifically for MSPs including new MSP editions, flexible “pay as you grow” financing options, and enhanced marketing and sales support. These offerings are all designed to help MSPs deliver a robust cloud infrastructure that will enable them to drive new revenue streams.
Overall, IBM is introducing new cloud options tailor-made for the data center that allow businesses of all sizes to free up time and money to focus on innovation. Those offerings include:
- Smaller PureApplication System: This new “mini” model offers organizations with limited budgets and resources a “cloud in a box.” It provides all of the infrastructure and management software necessary to quickly develop and deploy new applications in the cloud or on-premise, while removing complex, time- and labor-intensive processes. With smaller configurations, this model opens up new opportunities for MSPs and within growth markets without sacrificing performance.
- PureApplication System on POWER7+: This system provides larger enterprises, particularly those in financial services and insurance, the ability to better manage and maintain compute and transaction-intensive applications across environments, including the cloud, where up-time and performance are mission critical. In growth markets where large enterprises are already running many high performance applications on POWER systems, this new offering helps them get to the cloud quickly and run those applications more efficiently.
- Expanded Software Patterns Catalogue: Accessible through the PureSystems Centre, patterns are an innovative approach that automates software management – dramatically reducing the time it takes to install, manage and maintain applications. In addition to third-party ISV patterns, new patterns for IBM software include those for mobile application management, application integration, asset management and social business including IBM Web Experience Patterns for WebSphere Portal Server and Web Content Manager; IBM Connections Hypervisor Edition; and IBM Mixed Language Application Modernization Pattern.
- Managed Service Provider Editions for PureFlex and Flex Systems: IBM has created “MSP Editions” for IBM PureFlex and IBM Flex System that provide an accelerated cloud deployment platform that is faster to implement, easier to manage, and more cost effective than the MSP having to build the platform themselves, allowing them to cut operating expenses, such as systems administration and setup, by up to 50 percent.
- New Systems Tuned to Big Data: IBM’s new PureData System for Analytics, powered by Netezza technology, features 50 percent greater data capacity per rack and is able to crunch data 3x faster, making this system a top performer, while also addressing the challenges of big data better than any other solution on the market. With this new offering, organizations will be able to manage more data while maintaining efficiency in the data center – a major concern for clients of all sizes.
For more information
- You can refer to the IBM PureSystems press release for more information. We also invite you to join us on February 12 at 1pm ET for our next PureSystems webcast when we will further explore the new PureSystems update. You can register for the event here.
- Tomorrow, on February 6 at 1 pm US EDT, you can also join our Twitter chat with analyst Joe Clabby of Clabby Analytics to discuss how MSPs are helping midmarket companies leverage the power of Cloud Computing with Expert Integrated Systems.
- For information on some of our patterns around Web Experience and Collaboration solutions, see Marcus Belvin’s blog on “IBM Connect Recap: Efficiently building your social business on a PureApplication System foundation.”
- View the Cloud video below to watch how Tim Vanderham, Development Director of IBM PureSystems Application System, discusses the ways IBM PureApplication System integrates your cloud implementation, speeding your ability to bring solutions to market.
- View the NYSE video on how the NYSE Euronext Conquers Big Data Challenges with IBM PureData System for Analytics to help them manage data and identify insights more efficiently.
Video: Tim Vanderham on Cloud and IBM PureSystems Application System
Video: NYSE Euronext Conquers Big Data Challenges with IBM
Innovative companies continue to look for ways to deliver business value by accelerating time to market, improving application performance, and reducing the staff time needed for many routine ongoing management and support activities. Learn how you can do that and more in this Integrated Systems Analyst Paper from the IDC.